Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez reportedly used the drug “angel dust” (PCP) and was so paranoid about his safety that he carried a gun wherever he went, according to a report. Hernandez is currently in jail after being charged with the first-degree murder of Odin Lloyd.
Rolling Stone will have a feature on Hernandez’s life next week, and the publication previewed some of the revelations:
• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.
• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates.
• Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.
• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.
• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.
• In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.