With a poor game from Oregon’s Marcus Mariota, Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel takes the top spot in this week’s rankings. Still no one has established a significant lead to this point.
1. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (Last Week- #2)– Manziel keeps putting together solid performances, although he has yet to capture the magic of last season. I continue to believe that his antics will require him to do more than a typical Heisman winner. Nevertheless, he moves to the top as others falter.
2. QB Tahj Boyd, Clemson (Last Week- #4)– Clemson did not look good against NC State, but Boyd’s three touchdowns propelled the Tigers to a win. The dual threat signal caller still has not thrown an interception.— Boyd was dominant against Wake Forest, and he has the skills to continue to make a very serious run at the trophy.
3. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon (Last Week- #1)– Rough day for Mariota. Great day for the Ducks. The signal caller remains very much in contention
4. QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (Last Week- #3)– Louisville did not play.
5. RB Lache Seastrunk, Baylor (Last Week- #5)– Baylor did not play.
6. QB Jameis Winston, Florida State (Last Week- Unranked)– A freshman can’t win the Heisman… oh, wait… nevermind.
7. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia (Last Week, Unranked)– The Bulldogs have an early season loss, but they also have two impressive wins behind Murray who continues to impress.
8. RB Todd Gurley, Georgia (Last Week- #6)– Gurley had limited opportunities against LSU, but managed 9.1 yards per carry in the contest.
9. RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (Last Week- #8)– The Buckeyes defense slowed Gordon, but he still managed nearly five yards per carry.
10. QB Brett Hundley, UCLA (Last Week- #10)– UCLA did not play this week.
On the Cusp: QB Derek Carr (Fresno State), QB Bryce Petty (Baylor), QB Zach Mettenberger (LSU), QB Taylor Kelly (Arizona State), QB Keith Price (Washington), WR Mike Evans (TAMU)
In the Mix/Stock Rising: QB Aaron Murray (UGA), RB Alex Collins (Arkansas), WR Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt), DE Vic Beasley (Clemson), RB Jeremy Hill (LSU), RB Bishop Sankey (Washington)
Stock Falling: QB AJ McCarron (Alabama), QB Jordan Lynch (Northern Illinois), RB De’Anthony Thomas