This week, Bristol Palin featured a beautiful story out of Texas in her Patheos blog. Thirteen-year-old basketball player Derrick Jenkins was shooting a free throw during his middle school basketball game. After missing the attempt a voice in back of him said “That’s alright, Derrick.” But it wasn’t a teammate or a referee. The words of encouragement came from Derrick’s mother, Lieutenant Colonel Cotina Jenkins-Sellers. Derrick’s mom was home and she surprised her son at his game. Derrick was so overwhelmed he ran off the court and collapsed against the gym wall, crying tears of joy. Mom was home and safe. Lt. Col. Jenkins-Sellers and her husband planned the whole reunion purposely around Derrick’s game. A memory that will always be special painted in family, country, and basketball.
This isn’t the first time a military member has shocked their family through the facade of sports. Last year, ESPN released a powerful video of various service members returning home to sweetly stun children, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, and siblings. For all of ESPN’s flaws, this was a home run in every sense. True emotion. True love.
Our love of family and sports mixed with the pride we have in our exceptional country is a powerful concoction. Those with loved ones in the armed forces must endure a lot. Bristol Palin has a special understanding of this because of her brother Track who served in the Army. No wonder the touching video of Derrick Jenkins caught her eye.
We owe so much to our active military members and our veterans. We also owe a great debt of gratitude to the families who make it all possible for their loved ones to serve.
Jim Valvano once called on us to laugh, think, and cry each and every day. If you’re ever having trouble with that last part just click on one of these videos.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Boehner expresses doubts about reaching nuke deal with Iran, vows sanctions if effort fails29 Mar 2015, 2:03 PM PDT
- Justice Department asked to prosecute Hamas for Violating US law29 Mar 2015, 11:57 AM PDT
- Potential 2016 candidate O'Malley rips Bush, Clinton, says presidency 'not some crown' 29 Mar 2015, 10:30 AM PDT
- Pence: Indiana law on religious freedom 'not about discrimination ... not going to change'29 Mar 2015, 8:25 AM PDT
- Fiorina says there's 'higher than 90 percent' chance she’s running in 201629 Mar 2015, 7:40 AM PDT
Fox News National
- UC Berkeley student missing after leaving Los Angeles party 29 Mar 2015, 7:04 PM PDT
- Boston police: Officer shot in face by suspect is improving after surgery to remove bullet29 Mar 2015, 2:32 PM PDT
- After uproar, Utah restaurant owner removes prominent feature from bull statue29 Mar 2015, 1:49 PM PDT
- Military planning to spend billions on new Air Force One29 Mar 2015, 12:17 PM PDT
- Authorities: Body found in rubble 3 days after apparent gas explosion in Manhattan29 Mar 2015, 11:38 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Pelicans cruise past injury-plaged T-Wolves29 Mar 2015, 6:26 PM PDT
- Frost rallies to win in Mississippi29 Mar 2015, 6:26 PM PDT
- Wade scores 40 to lead Heat over Pistons29 Mar 2015, 6:25 PM PDT
- Leonard pushes Spurs past slumping Grizzlies29 Mar 2015, 6:22 PM PDT
- Jagr scores twice as Panthers beat Sens29 Mar 2015, 6:20 PM PDT