Monday on Fox News Channel’s “Fox & Friends,” Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump once again denied any association with a National Enquirer story published last week alleging his opponent Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) was involved in extramarital affairs with at least five different women.
After touting his national security credentials, Trump made that declaration and noted yesterday was the first time he had seen the story.
“Well first of all, first of all, I have the ultimate answer as to keeping America safe from radical Islamic terrorism, far better than him, far better, everybody knows it, number one,” Trump said. “Number two, I had nothing to do with the National Enquirer. I knew nothing about it. I just saw it yesterday for the first time.”
Trump suggested the true culprit behind the Enquirer story was Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) former presidential campaign, which according to Trump was shopped by that campaign.
“I knew nothing about it, I know nothing about it. I have no idea whether or not it’s true, but it’s likely he should try and blame me because he’s losing by a lot,” Trump said. “I mean, I have many, many more delegates than him. I have millions of more votes than him in the primary. He’s losing by a lot, so he’s not going to blame Rubio, because Rubio’s out.”
“I just want to tell you, I had nothing to do with that story,” he added. “Absolutely zero.”
Trump told “Fox & Friends” that he thought Cruz was blaming Trump because he needed a scapegoat to help his cause politically.
“I am saying that Ted Cruz has made this up because he needs it politically because he’s losing so badly,” Trump said. “It’s very easy and he’s doing very badly and he’s choking and he’s making things up. He’s bringing them out. I had nothing to do with the National Enquirer story. And frankly, I hope it’s not true because it’s pretty bad. I hope it’s not true.”
Follow Jeff Poor on Twitter @jeff_poor