Last weekend saw films do slightly better than predicted. This time around it’s two words: Chuck. Norris.
This weekend’s predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. “The Expendables 2″ ($42 million) -Film will easily win the weekend, the only question is how high will it go? The return of Chuck Norris to a major action film gives thefilm a huge marketing edge. Look for a very healthy opening here andonward to “Expendables 3.”
2. “The Bourne Legacy” ($17 million) -The term “massively outgunned” comes to mind. Film will not only losemost of its target audience to “Expendables,” the lukewarmreaction from action fans will also lead to a huge drop.
3. “The Odd Life of Timothy Green” ($14 million)– This fun tearjerker could find a comfortable place in the frame, but it still faces stiff competition from “ParaNorman” which is also vying for familyaudiences. Film opened on Wednesday so business will be affected acrossthe weekend.
4. “ParaNorman” ($13.6 million) -Buzz on the film is very “Coraline”-like, but it will struggle toreach that high of an opening. Could beat “Timothy” if things fall itsway.
5. “The Campaign” ($13 million) – On thesubject of big drops, this film does not have very high positive wordof mouth. I know this won’t shock Big Hollywood readers that its attempts at social commentary didn’t work outtoo well (box office wise) for the film’s stars. Film could easily golower than predicted.
In other calls:
Look for “Sparkle” to open around $12 million, and “The Dark Knight Rises” to easily crush the $400 million domestic mark.
That’s the word from Sensei.