Sensei extended his call streak to eleven weeks last week. This round, that streak could be in serious jeopardy with such a close raceat the top.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. “Scary Movie 5” ($19.4 million) -Another weekend, another surprise call. Conventional wisdom says totake 42 to win the weekend, but beware, baseball films have neveropened that strong. Even the heavily Oscar buzzed Moneyballcouldn’t hit a $20 million opening. Meanwhile, the spoof genre has asolid history of beating low projections. Based on this, look for A Haunted House/Meet The Spartans-like opening, and a whole lot of head scratching.
2. “42” ($18 million) – Even with solid reviews, hard to ignore the previous openings of baseball films. Still, look for a solid start here.
3. “The Croods” ($14 million) – Will make back its $135 million production budget this week. Looks to continue its run into early Summer.
4. “GI Joe: Retaliation” ($11 million) – Film will break the $100 million domestic mark. Still has some ground to cover to equal the original GI Joe’s $150 million domestic haul.
5. “The Evil Dead” ($10.8 million) – Horror films usually post big drops on their second weekends. Look for that to be the case here.
That’s Sensei’s calls. Feel free to share your weekend’s winners.