Sensei had the right call at the top last week. This weekend, get ready for a few surprise numbers.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. “The Purge” ($24 million) – Thisone has been building under the radar for quite some time. I like theamount of buzz generated here, especially as its opening date arrives.Look for an upset win.
2. “Now You See Me” ($19 million) – Filmis becoming a sleeper hit. Word of mouth remains strong, and a solid second weekend will only add to its box office appeal.
3. “Fast & Furious 6” ($17.9 million)– Film will lose the top spot, but no worries, it will pull ever closerto the $200 million domestic mark. Funny how this film will make moredomestically than both The Hangover Part III and After Earth combined.
4. “The Internship” ($16 million) – Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are a strong box office pair (Wedding Crashers), but this film is limited in its appeal, providing much fewer laughs. Look for lower results here.
5. “After Earth” ($12 million) – The nightmare continues for this one. Film will not make back its $130 million production budget domestically. Ouch. Could easily become one of the biggest flops of the year.
That’s Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the weekend.