A posse of professional clowns called out Hollywood for instilling an apparent “clown fear” in people over its character depiction of a serial stalker named “Twisty the Clown” in American Horror Story: Freak Show.
Clowns of America International, the largest national clown club for amateur, semiprofessional, and professional clowns, reportedly blame tinseltown for its negative contribution to the clown community.
“Hollywood makes money sensationalizing the norm,” the organization’s president Glenn Kohlberger, also called Clyde D. Scope, told The Hollywood Reporter. “They can take any situation no matter how good or pure and turn it into a nightmare.”
Kohlberger and Clowns of America International pride themselves on being “Ambassadors of Joy” and won’t back down to characters like “Twisty.”
“We do not support in any way, shape or form any medium that sensationalizes or adds to coulrophobia or ‘clown fear,'” he said.
1. I will keep my acts, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember at all times that I have been accepted as a member of the clown club only to provide others, principally children, with clean clown comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of himself or herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others.
2. I will learn to apply my makeup in a professional manner. I will provide my own costume. I will carry out my appearance and assignment for the entertainment of others and not for personal gain or personal publicity when performing for either the International club or alley events. I will always try to remain anonymous while in makeup and costume as a clown, though there may be circumstances when it is not reasonably possible to do so.
3. I will neither drink alcoholic beverages nor smoke while in makeup or clown costume. Also, I will not drink alcoholic beverages prior to any clown appearances. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady, never interfering with other acts, events, spectators, or individuals. I will not become involved in or tolerate sexual harassment or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any protected status.
4. I will remove my makeup and change into my street clothes as soon as possible following my appearance, so that I cannot be associated with any incident that may be detrimental to the good name of clowning. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady at all times.
5. While on appearance in makeup and costume, I will carry out the directives of the producer or his designated deputies. I will abide by all performance rules without complaint in public.
6. I will do my very best to maintain the best clown standards of makeup, costuming, properties, and comedy.
7. I will appear in as many clown shows as I possibly can.
8. I will be committed to providing an atmosphere free of discrimination and harassment for clowns of all ages to share ideas and learn about the art of clowning.