Alleged sex attack victims of Lord Janner have vowed to continue their legal battle against the disgraced former Labour peer hours after learning of his death.
The veteran politician, who had been suffering from dementia for several years, died peacefully in his sleep at his north London home on Saturday after a long illness, his family said.
The peer had been accused of 22 counts of historical sex offences against boys – allegations his family denied. He was suspended by the Labour Party earlier this year over the allegations.
A “trial of the facts” will now no longer take place. This would have allowed a jury to decide whether the peer did in fact commit the 22 offences in the 1960s, 70s and 80s of which he is accused, but with no finding of guilt or conviction.
As Breitbart London reported, that trial was set to begin next April and Lord Janner had been given a team of publicly-funded lawyers to mount his defence.
Liz Dux, lawyer at Slater and Gordon who represents six of Janner’s alleged victims. The Daily Mail reports she said of his death: “This is devastating news for my clients.
“They have waited so long to see this case come before the courts, to be denied justice at the final hurdle is deeply frustrating.
“Worse still is that so many opportunities to bring this matter to justice whilst he was well were missed.
“All they have ever wanted is to give their evidence in court and have these very serious allegations tested and to be believed.”
She added her clients will still pursue civil compensation claims against the Janner estate.
However, Lord Janner gave the deeds of his £2.2million London home – likely to be his most valuable asset – to his children last year, so it is not known how much his estate will be worth.
Lord Janner denied any wrongdoing and his family said the peer was “entirely innocent”.
Labour MP Simon Danczuk, who led calls for Lord Janner to face justice, told the BBC: “Obviously it is very sad for Lord Janner’s family that he has passed away, though it is also extremely sad for his alleged victims.”
He added: “It is disappointing that all the evidence is not now to be brought before a court.
“It is a very sad day for justice.”
Follow Simon Kent on Twitter: Follow @SunSimonKent or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org