Homeless ‘Hero’ in Manchester Attack Admits Stealing from Victims

Helpers attend to people inside the Manchester Arena after a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert, killing 22 people. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday May 22, 2017. See PA story POLICE Explosion. Photo credit should read: PA Wire
AP

LONDON (AP) — A homeless man characterized as a hero after the Manchester Arena bombing has admitted stealing from victims of last year’s extremist attack.

Closed-circuit TV footage played in court showed 33-year-old Chris Parker stealing a purse and mobile phone from victims of the May attack that claimed 22 lives.

He pleaded guilty Wednesday at Manchester Crown Court to theft and fraud.

Chris Parker (BBC screengrab)

Judge David Hernandez ordered Parker held in custody until a Jan. 30 sentencing date. He said a prison term is “most likely.”

Parker received global attention after he claimed to have helped comfort a number of injured and dying victims after suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated a bomb at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.

Prosecutors said Parker provided “limited assistance” to victims but also robbed some.

.