Kano, May 19 (QNA) – A bomb blast ripped through a street of bars and restaurants in Nigeria’s second biggest city on Sunday night, killing five people, including a suicide bomber, police said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on Kano, the commercial hub of the north, but blame is likely to fall on the Islamic militant group Boko Haram, which has been holding more than 200 schoolgirls hostage since last month.
Kano police commissioner Adelere Shinaba said the bomb caused around five fatalities, including the suicide bomber and a young girl. Shinaba said it was too early to say who was responsible for the attack.
Police said the blast happened in the Sabon Gari or “foreign quarter” of Kano, an area mostly inhabited by southern Christians.
The explosion happened when the area was crowded with revellers as well as street hawkers and traders, witnesses said.
A suicide car bomber killed 25 people at a bus station in Sabon Gari in March last year and multiple blasts killed at least 24 people there in July. (QNA)
QNA 0513 GMT 2014/05/19