Saudi ground forces supported by air power launched a “major security operation” against Islamic State (ISIS, ISIL, IS) jihadists inside Saudi Arabia, according to a member of the Iraqi Parliament.
The operation to kill members of the Islamic State took place near the Arar port along the Saudi-Iraqi border.
“Saudi military forces are currently implementing an attack on ISIS within its territory,” Iraqi MP Muafaq al-Rubaie said in a statement, Shafaq News reported on January 5.
The MP, who is also a former national security adviser, stressed that “Saudi security forces dealt with the ISIS with various weapons, killing many of the members of these gangs, and affecting them with heavy losses.”
Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries taking part in the U.S.-led effort against ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
According to Shafaq News, the Saudi Interior Ministry announced Monday that border guards were “exposed to an armed attack, followed by a suicide attack” along the Saudi border with Iraq.
On Monday, the International Business Times (IBT) reported that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack on the Saudi-Iraqi border.
For the first time since the Islamic State group formally announced its desire to conquer Saudi Arabia last month, government officials said terrorist elements had launched an attack on the Saudi border with Iraq. Four militants, one wearing a suicide vest, attacked a border fortification Monday, killing three Saudi border guards.