UPDATED: IS Terror Attack on French Factory, Man Decapitated


One man is dead and several injured in an Islamic State (IS) terror attack on a factory in Grenoble, France. Four arrests have been made in relation to the attack.

Sources said two men rammed the factory in a car before setting off explosive devices. A decapitated body has been discovered.

The murdered man’s head is understood to have been found 30 feet away from his body, hanging on the factory’s fence. The dead man’s head was covered in Arabic ‘inscriptions’ before being placed on the fence, according to local journalists at the scene.

A 30-year-old man who was known to security services since at least 2008 has been arrested, telling police officers that he is a member of the Islamic State terror group. The man is believed not to have a criminal record but was considered to have ‘possibly been radicalised’.

Four people in total have now been arrested in connection with the attack in south-eastern France; Yassin Salhi, the prime suspect, his wife and sister.

A fourth man, taken in for questioning on suspicion of conducting “reconnaissance” at the site before the attack was detained but released this evening.

 Air Products, the American company targeted in the attack has 21,000 employees, according to its website, and sold industrial gases including nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said he would go “immediately” to the scene.

According to regional daily Le Dauphiné Libéré, the attacker entered the factory, owned by company Air Products in the town of Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, claiming he belonged to IS. The report states the man opened gas bottles and set off an explosion. The newspaper also said that one victim was decapitated and several others injured.

The attack comes six months after the Charlie Hebdo attack and the three-day siege in Paris during which 17 people were killed.

Additional reporting via AFP.



Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.