Bataclan announces first concerts since Paris attacks in November

The Bataclan concert hall was the scene of the worst bloodshed in the November 2015 Paris attacks that left 130 people dead
AFP

Paris (AFP) – The team running the Paris concert hall where 90 people were killed in last year’s jihadist attacks announced Wednesday a series of concerts would be held at the venue in November.

British singer Pete Doherty and the Senegalese star Youssou N’Dour and his Super Etoile de Dakar band will play the Bataclan on November 16 and 18 respectively, the managers said in a statement.

They said work had begun on repairing the interior of the building but “no exact reopening date has as yet been fixed”.

The choice of N’Dour, a Muslim, who has often spoken out in support of dialogue between the world’s major religions, is likely to be seen highly significant.

The US rock group Nada Surf and the French group MZ have also been booked to play the concert hall in the east of Paris in December, the statement added.

“We want to preserve the (Bataclan’s) warmth and friendliness and maintain its popular, festive spirit,” the management team said.

The California group Eagles of Death Metal, who were on stage when jihadist gunmen burst in opening fire on concertgoers on November 13, have repeatedly said they they want to return to play the venue.

.