Sept. 25 (UPI) — Ring of Honor World Champion Cody Rhodes has officially signed with the company to remain in ROH for the next several years.
Rhodes who goes by just Cody in ROH, signed his new contract during ROH television tapings in Las Vegas over the weekend for episodes that will air in October, the company reported.
Despite being the ROH champion, Cody was a free agent that was also competing in other North American wrestling organizations such as Impact Wrestling, APW and Northeast Wrestling among others. The 32-year-old will still able to compete internationally in organizations such as New Japan Pro-Wrestling.
“I grew up in this business, I’ve seen its peaks and valleys…I know we are entering an unprecedented time in pro wrestling/sports entertainment and it’s time to put my flag in the sand,” Cody said in a statement. “Joe Koff and his team put together such a generous offer…with some non-wrestling projects on the horizon that I hope to announce soon, and the potential of starting a family down the road…it was a perfect fit. Myself, Marty Scurll, Hangman Page, Matt and Nick Jackson…it’s the dream team…like the 1992 dream team. I have several goals in mind for myself and for ROH and I can’t wait to get started.”
“He’s relevant not only to our promotion, but relevant to the wrestling world and relevant to wrestling’s legacy,” Koff, the chief operating officer of ROH said previously to UPI about Cody.
Cody, the son of the late Dusty Rhodes, famously exited WWE in May 2016.
Cody retained his ROH World Championship Friday against Minoru Suzuki of NJPW fame at Death Before Dishonor XV. The match ended after Cody nailed Suzuki with a Cross Rhodes for the three count. After the match, Cody made an unconscious Suzuki kiss his championship ring.