Sept. 27 (UPI) — A fast-moving wildfire in Southern California has been contained well enough that officials said Wednesday they will allow evacuees to return to their homes.
The Canyon Fire forced the evacuation of roughly 1,500 residents of Corona, about 20 miles east of Anaheim, earlier this week. The fire burned about 2,000 acres along the border between Orange and Riverside counties, but Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Larry Kurtz told the Los Angeles Times Wednesday morning that the fire was 20 percent contained.
At about 10 a.m. Wednesday, the city of Corona Fire Department said in a news release that they had lifted all evacuation orders, allowing only residents to enter the area the fire previously threatened.
But Kurtz cautioned the fire has not “completely been mopped up.”
Officials from the fire authority said there have been no reported injuries, adding that the fire damaged three structures, KABC-TV, Los Angeles, reported.
The fire started Monday and increased in size from 550 acres to around 1,500 in a couple hours.