May 9 (UPI) — Everton FC coach Sam Allardyce thinks that only a large offer can pry English soccer legend Wayne Rooney from the club, amid transfer rumors.
Rooney was also linked to a move to Major League Soccer in 2017, when a league source told ESPN that there were several teams interested in acquiring the veteran playmaker.
On Tuesday, sources told the Washington Post that the 32-year-old is in “serious talks” with the Premier league power.
He has one year remaining on his Everton contract.
“There are rumors about Wayne going elsewhere abroad — in China and America — but rumors are rumors we won’t find out until Wayne and his agent have been contacted whether he wants to move, but at the moment he is an Everton fan and an Everton player,” Allardyce told the Liverpool Echo Tuesday.
“So I wouldn’t consider anything on the cards on the moment. It would have to be massive for him to want to leave Everton.”
Allardyce also told the Echo that he wants Rooney to stay at his hometown club in Liverpool, England, instead of taking the pitch in China or the United States.
Rooney has 10 goals this season for Everton in the Premier League. He has mostly been used as a midfielder after spending the majority of his storied career as a forward.
A person familiar with the negotiations told the Post that the discussions between Rooney and the MLS club have “accelerated” recently. That source spotted United a 50 percent chance of acquiring the greatest scorer in English national team history. United also approached Rooney last season.
Rooney has 11 total scores in 40 appearances for Everton. He was injured in Saturday’s home draw against Southampton.
United finished in last place in scoring last year among Eastern Conference squads. The club is a minus-5 goal differential this season, ranking second to last.
The MLS transfer window opens on July 10. United would need to pay a transfer fee or negotiate a free move in an acquisition for Rooney.