June 7 (UPI) — Legendary wide receiver Terrell Owens will not attend his enshrinement ceremony into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Owens announced his decision Thursday in a statement on social media. The Hall of Fame is “disappointed” with the move. Owens was set to be in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 4 as part of the eight-man class of 2018.
The six-time Pro Bowl pick and five-time All-Pro selection said that he is grateful for the support he has received throughout his NFL career. He said he was truly humbled by the honor of being inducted.
“While I am incredibly appreciative of this opportunity, I have made the decision to publicly decline my invitation to attend the induction ceremony in Canton,” Owens said in the statement.
“I have already shared this information with the Hall. After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization that I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere. At a later date, I will announce where and when I will celebrate my induction.”
Pro Football Hall of Fame CEO David Baker also released a statement and said there will be no further statements issued in relation to Owens’ decision.
“We are disappointed but will respect Terrell’s decision not to participate in the Enshrinement,” Baker said. “While unprecedented, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the nearly 5,000 volunteers and the entire community are committed to celebrating the excellence of the Class of 2018 that will kick off the NFL’s 99th season.”
Bobby Beathard, Robert Brazile, Brian Dawkins, Jerry Kramer, Ray Lewis, Randy Moss and Brian Urlacher are expected to attend the ceremony in Canton.
Owens was also a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016 and 2017, but failed to make the cut.
After not making it in 2017, Owens called the Hall of Fame a “total joke.”
“Honestly, doesn’t mean anything to me to get in beyond this point,” he tweeted.
Owens has the second-most receiving yards in NFL history. He also has the third-most receiving touchdowns.