Calgary (Canada) (AFP) – Pittsburgh Penguins top prospect Jordy Bellerive has been released from hospital, nearly two weeks after suffering severe burns in a fire-pit explosion.
Bellerive’s junior team, the Lethbridge Hurricanes, also said in a news release on Wednesday that his teammate Ryan Vandervlis is now out of a medically induced coma. Vandervlis, 20, who was initially listed in critical condition, remains in the intensive care unit at a Calgary, Alberta hospital.
The other person injured in the June 15 explosion, Matt Alfaro, was released from hospital last week.
The 19-year-old Bellerive is expected to make a full recovery but will miss the Penguins development camp this week. He has become one of the Penguins top scoring prospects since signing a three-year contract with Pittsburgh in September after an impressive training camp.
“He’s doing fine,” Penguins director of player development Scott Young told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I have talked to him a little bit and he’s starting to come around a bit. It’s something he will get past and make a full recovery.”
He scored 46 goals and added 46 assists over 71 games in the WHL with the Hurricanes this season.
The Penguins also drafted Bellerive’s teammate Calen Addison with their second round pick (53rd overall) in the 2018 NHL entry draft.