Los Angeles (AFP) – San Diego County has joined what US President Donald Trump called on Wednesday a “revolution” against “sanctuary” laws in California that protect undocumented migrants.
The Republican-controlled board of supervisors governing San Diego County, which borders Mexico, backed in a closed-door vote 3-1 to support the Trump administration’s federal lawsuit challenging California legislation that restricts local police and businesses from cooperating with immigration authorities.
Trump took to Twitter to praise the news, writing: “There is a Revolution going on in California. Soooo many Sanctuary areas want OUT of this ridiculous, crime infested & breeding concept.”
“Jerry Brown is trying to back out of the National Guard at the Border, but the people of the State are not happy,” he wrote, referring to the state’s Democratic governor. “Want Security & Safety NOW!”
The president has repeatedly tried to link immigration with crime but immigrant defenders say many immigrants are fleeing poverty and violence. Activists accuse authorities of rounding up longtime residents with families and jobs on minor infractions.
San Diego is California’s second most populous county behind Los Angeles.
Orange — a staunchly conservative county in a state with strong Democratic tendencies — voted three weeks ago to support the US Justice Department’s case.
On Monday the small municipality Los Alamitos in Orange County ratified a decision exempting the city from laws protecting undocumented immigrants.
Another 10 cities have followed their lead since then by backing the federal challenge.
California is at the forefront of what opponents call the “Resistance” to Trump’s administration, with the heavily Democratic state suing the federal government over numerous issues.
Several cities including Los Angeles are “sanctuary cities” that require local law enforcement agencies not to tell federal agents about residents’ legal status.
On Monday Ronald Vitiello, Customs and Border Protection Acting Deputy Commissioner, said that although Governor Brown had accepted federal funding to boost the state’s National Guard, he would not send military reinforcement along the state’s border with Mexico.
“The governor has determined that what we have asked for so far is unsupportable,” Vitiello told reporters.
Trump this month said he would send thousands of National Guard troops to the southern border, where they could remain until a border wall is constructed.
The order would eventually see about 4,000 Guardsman along the border, which spans four US states.
So far about 960 have arrived, officials said. Texas has seen the biggest deployment, with 650 sent to the border, while Arizona has dispatched 250, and New Mexico about 60.