NYC Bar Calls NYPD on African American Leaders

NYC Bar Calls NYPD on African American Leaders

A group of political activists demanding to speak to the president of the New York City Bar Association about the organization’s refusal to dismiss attorney Andrew Barovick as chair of the bar’s medical malpractice committee were turned away by the bar’s Executive Director, Bret Parker.

Barovick stated in a tweet last Monday that former Republican candidate for New York Lieutenant Governor Christopher Moss, who is black, should be the “spokesmodel for Cream of Wheat or Uncle Ben’s Rice.” Moss serves as Chemung County Sheriff and is the President of the New York State Sheriff’s Association.

Barovick eventually apologized, after he doubled down and was attacked online for it. The New York City Bar Association forgave Barovick, stating in a blog post, “We trust that Mr. Barovick will be mindful of these concerns going forward.”

The group, who entered the organization’s building lobby with 8 x 10 picture images of the icons Uncle Ben and Cream of Wheat, included former New York Democratic State Assemblyman, Michael Benjamin; former New York City Comptroller Candidate, John Burnett; Civil Rights Attorney, Richard St. Paul; Gathering of Men President, Mark McLean; Sirius XM talk show host, David Webb; and Manhattan Republican chairman Dan Isaacs.

According to the group’s spokesman, William F.B. O’Reilly, the receptionist told them that he had been instructed to take the name and phone number of anyone inquiring about Barovick. The receptionist, according to O’Reilly, “refused to call anyone in charge.”

St. Paul, a former City Bar member, went into the membership office to ask to talk with someone in authority, and the NYPD was called in by Parker. 

Parker attempted to escort the group out, but St. Paul said he was considering rejoining the NYC Bar, with one caveat—would Andrew Barovick remain chairman of the Medical Malpractice Committee? 

Parker ignored St. Paul’s question and other questions, as he walked away from him and spoke with one of the officers, who, in turn, spoke with someone via police radio. According to O’Reilly, the group decided to leave at that point.