A High School cheerleader in Revere, Mass., is being benched for the rest of the season as punishment for her post on Twitter about illegal immigrants.
“When only 10 percent of Revere votes for mayor cause the other 90 percent isn’t legal,” Caley Godino posted on Twitter reported Boston’s Fox 25. The post was “a response to a tweet from her teacher about the low voter turnout for November’s mayoral race. Caley says she meant her tweet as a political comment, not a racial one,” Fox 25 reported.
“I see Donald Trump a lot on it and I don’t see what’s so different based on that. I’m starting to follow all along with him,” Godino explained to Fox 25.
Students complained about Godino’s post on Twitter, so the Revere Superintendent Dianne Kelly stepped in and told Fox 25 that the school district “believes in freedom of speech, but cannot support what she calls insensitive language.”
“If you’re going to stand up and say something that other people will find offensive, then you need to be prepare to deal with the ramifications of that,” the superintendent declared.
As a result of the backlash, the school system has banned Godino from cheering for the rest of the season.