LOS ANGELES, Feb. 28 (UPI) —
Former NFL player Darren Sharper surrendered to Los Angeles police after an arrest warrant alleging he raped two women in New Orleans was issued, police said.
Sharper, who surrendered Thursday, had been free on bail following his arrest on charges of raping and drugging two women in Los Angeles when New Orleans police issued a warrant charging him with rape in that city last year, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Sharper now is accused of raping at least eight women, as well as committing sexual battery against a woman in Miami, the Times said.
Detectives and investigators with the Orleans district attorney’s office also had an arrest warrant for Eric Nunez, 26, described as an acquaintance of Sharper.
New Orleans detectives learned two woman allegedly were assaulted by Sharper on Sept. 23, the Times said.
“New information uncovered also indicates that Nunez allegedly raped both women at the same location,” said Remi Braden, a department spokeswoman.
Los Angeles County prosecutors charged Sharper with two counts of rape and five drug charges in two incidents in October and January.
He is is under investigation in Las Vegas and Tempe, Ariz., the Times said
In the Los Angeles matter, Sharper, 38, has pleaded not guilty and was ordered to surrender his passport, remain in Los Angeles and avoid women.