Ray McDonald Arrested Second Time in 72 Hours

49ers release Ray McDonald after sexual assault investigation

For the second time in three days, former San Francisco Giants defensive end Ray McDonald, 30, was arrested.

On Wednesday at 5:35 p.m., Santa Clara police arrested him for violating a restraining order, ESPN reports. Wednesday’s arrest followed Monday’s arrest on charges of suspicion of domestic violence and child endangerment, which triggered his immediate release from the Chicago Bears, who had signed him only three months ago.

On Wednesday, according to The San Francisco Chronicle, McDonald was found at an unspecified residence just before 3:00 p.m. He was arrested later at a Togo’s Sandwiches outlet. McDonald posted $5,000 bail Wednesday night. When questioned by reporters as to what had happened, he snapped, “I don’t know. Warriors win today? Shouldn’t you be going to that?” Prodded further, he said, “Man, why don’t y’all go home or something. Jesus Christ.”

Bears team chairman George McCaskey had spoken of Monday’s arrest on Wednesday morning, saying:

The overriding emotion for me was sadness. Sadness for the child, for the child’s mother and for the entire situation. Domestic violence is a vexing social problem. The NFL has had some high-profile cases including this one, and the NFL because it’s a leader in a society is called upon to take action, which we are doing. We’re not going to do it by ourselves, but I think we have an opportunity to make an impact.

McDonald’s attorney, Steve Defilippis, told ESPN that the judge never issued a restraining order against his client, only telling him to stay away from his former fiancee, who was the victim in the Monday arrest. Defilippis said that before McDonald went to her apartment on Wednesday, he had been informed that his former fiancee would not be there, stating, “Today my investigator contacted her and confirmed that she was in Santa Cruz and Ray went over to the apartment to meet the investigator to let him in so that he could get photographs of this allegedly broken door, and lo and behold the cops show up and arrest him.”

He added that McDonald arrived at the apartment to meet a private investigator “for a legitimate purpose and the police show up and arrest him.”


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.