A straw poll indicates Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) slightly edges out former President Donald Trump in presidential 2024 approval.
Centennial Institute surveyed respondents at the Western Conservative Summit in Denver on Saturday in which participants “were asked to select each potential candidate they would approve for president in 2024.”
The top five ranked as follows:
- Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) 74.12 percent
- Donald Trump 71.43 percent
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R) 42.86 percent
- Mike Pompeo 39.35 percent
- Sen. Tim Scott (R) 35.58 percent
The poll also asked respondents to rank their top issues. The top three rank as follows:
- Immigration/border security 82 percent
- Election integrity 79 percent
- Religious freedom 75 percent
The poll comes as DeSantis is deploying state and local law enforcement officers to the United States-Mexico border to help mitigate the nation’s ongoing illegal immigration crisis.
DeSantis decision answers Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) request to help them with the wave of illegal immigration pouring into their states as a result of the Biden administration’s massive Catch and Release operation.