Occupy Oakland Protestors Charged With Hate Crimes--Woman Robbed of Wallet and Obama Pin

The ultra-left, supposed equalitarian 99% movement that was designed to champion the people has taken another turn for the worse in Oakland where three Occupy protestors have been charged with hate crimes. According to police who reportedly have video of the incident, the underlying crime was actually a strong-arm robbery in which the protestors surrounded a 42-year old woman on the streets of Oakland in February to take her wallet and an Obama pin on her clothing after she told them not to riot in her neighborhood. “She was surrounded by three protestors and battered as they yelled vulgar epithets regarding their perception of her sexual orientation,” Oakland Police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said. Her wallet was taken during the crime. The victim broke away from the group and called the police who were able to arrest one person by the scene.”

    

So far, prosecutors have charged Michael Davis, 32, Nneka Crawford, 23, and Randolph Wilkins, 24, and two other suspects were recently located on February 29 and arrested during an Occupy Oakland protest. The first three have been charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office with felony counts of robbery and hate crimes. The three suspects are currently jailed at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin. Bail for Crawford and Wilkins is $105,000 and Davis is being held on $100,000 bail. Although video of the incident was captured by a fellow protestors, the incident has not been reported on the Occupy Oakland site. A San Jose Mercury News report quoted Oakland police Sgt. Randy Wingate who said, "In the department we have zero tolerance for hate crimes." A hate crime was described by police as any criminal act or attempted criminal act directed against a person based on their actual or perceived race, nationality or religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender. According to the Mercury News:

The confrontation happened about 6 p.m. Feb. 22 in the 4000 block of Piedmont Avenue. Police said that some Occupy Oakland protesters were demonstrating against a Wells Fargo Bank branch there when a woman across the street expressed her opinion about the Occupy movement and the way it's being handled, Wingate said. Wingate said a handful of protesters quickly surrounded her and prevented from leaving the area. Her wallet was taken from her purse, and protesters yanked a Barack Obama pin from her clothing, police said.

Wingate said she was also verbally abused, including making derogatory remarks about her perceived sexuality. A protester punched the woman, and she was bruised and scratched in the altercation. Hora charged the three with a felony robbery and a felony hate crime because the woman was injured in addition to being verbally insulted.

One of the protesters shot a video of the altercation, which police viewed on the Internet. It has since been removed. Davis was arrested Wednesday and was arraigned on Friday. Crawford and Wilkins were arrested Thursday during a rally in downtown Oakland and are scheduled to be in court on Monday for an arraignment.

Reporters for the Reuters news service were unsuccessful Friday night in reaching a spokesperson from the Occupy Oakland movement on the attack or the arrests and prosecution. Reuters reported, “A rallying cry of the movement has been that 1 percent of the population has too much of the nation's wealth and the remaining 99 percent is disadvantaged. It has lost momentum in recent months after police cleared encampments in New York, Oakland and other major cities.”

advertisement

Breitbart Video Picks

advertisement

advertisement

Fox News National

advertisement

advertisement

Send A Tip

From Our Partners