A British family was forced out of their home after discovering dozens of the world’s deadliest spiders in a bunch of bananas purchased from supermarket Sainsbury’s. The mother, Consi Taylor, 29. told The Sun she noticed a white spot on the banana she was eating.
She told the newspaper: “I thought it was mold but when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots. I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
She took the bananas back to the supermarket where was initially offered a £10 voucher in compensation. After sending the image of the spiders to a pest control company, her family were told to evacuate their home as it could be infested with Brazilian wandering spiders. In 2010 Guinness World Records listed the Brazilian wandering spider as the most venomous in the world.
Sometimes known as the “banana spider”, Brazilian wandering spiders often hide in banana plants and are found throughout South and Central America.
The venom of these aggressive spiders contains a neurotoxin which triggers loss of muscle control, breathing problems, paralysis and eventual asphyxiation. There is a common anti-venom available.
According to The Sun, Sainsbury’s paid for the Taylor home to be fumigated and for the family to stay in a hotel while it was cleaned. They also issued the following statement: “We’re very sorry and have apologized to Mr and Mrs Taylor. We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages – from harvesting to transportation – which is why this is so rare.”
In 2005, a 65-year-old South Wales man was bitten by a venomous crab spider when he reached for a bunch of bananas in a supermarket: Sainsbury’s.