As West Coast union dockworkers celebrate a tentative agreement for a five-year contract featuring even higher wages and benefits than the current $1,200-per-day, shipping companies intend to introduce new mega-container-ships and port handling equipment that will help automate away many union jobs.
As Breitbart reported last week in “Teamsters Win Big in Silicon Valley, Target Tech Companies”, after the Teamsters Local 853 organized Facebook contract shuttle bus drivers a week ago, over the weekend they won elections organizing drivers for Yahoo, Apple, Genentech, eBay and Zynga.
China Daily reported that tourism from China to Los Angeles has nearly quadrupled over the past four years. Visitors rose from 158,000 in 2009 to 570,000 in 2013. With over a million Chinese visiting California last year and a projected 2 million by 2020, retailers and restaurants are thrilled at the reported $6,000 spending-per-visit.
The hard-Left publication The Nation and their allies advocated for the FCC’s “Net Neutrality” passage to regulate and tax the Internet as “People Power". But in politics, it is always best to “follow the money.” For 2014, lobbying expenditures by computer/Internet companies hit $139.5 million. The Left likes to talk about "People Power", but Silicon Valley lobbying cash is "Corporate Power."
With the ink hardly dry on Federal District Judge Andrew Hanen’s order slamming the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for trying to grant up to 11.7 million illegal aliens/undocumented workers “green cards,” President Obama just instructed Homeland Security to offer “green cards” to H1-B holder spouses and children under 21 years old.
The City of Stockton emerged from bankruptcy on Wednesday, February 25, after a 31-month ordeal. There were no winners in trying to restructure over $2 billion in debt and obligations. Nearly half of non-safety city employees were dumped, the survivors’ wages were cut by up to 23 percent, and retirees lost $500 million in lifetime medical benefits. Bondholders and creditors are receiving pennies on the dollar. Hopefully the sad lessons about what happened to Stockton might help other California cities to control spending.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has voted to approve a wildly controversial Net Neutrality policy that will regulate and tax the Internet intensely, much like the old AT&T telephone monopoly. To help secure political support, Chairman Tom Wheeler made last-minute revisions at the request of Google, according to Politico's sources at the Commission.
The left-leaning ‘Electronic Frontier Foundation’ (EFF) came out with “guns-a-blazin'” Wednesday morning at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in an open letter: “Dear FCC: Rethink The Vague "General Conduct" Rule.”
Farmland prices that had been enjoying a 28-year bull market finally turned down in 2014. Despite real estate, stocks, bonds and commodities crashes over the period, farmland had never had a down year since 1986. However, the Wall Street Journal has reported that farmland suffered a loss of 3 percent last year, “reflecting a cooling in the market driven by two years of bumper crops and sharply lower grain prices, according to Federal Reserve.”
Despite all the mainstream media naysayers “dissing” Apple, Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) for designing and building a car, I believe the economics are overwhelmingly favorable for Apple to extend its brand to vehicles.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Netanyahu’s moment: When politics and media coverage go nuclear3 Mar 2015, 6:13 PM PDT
- Chicago credit downgrade hangs over Emanuel's mayoral runoff race3 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
- Sources: More than a dozen ISIS operatives in Libya, but no US authority to strike3 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
- Netanyahu ready to take Iran case to Congress in controversial speech3 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
- Hillary Clinton's use of private email address while secretary of state draws scrutiny3 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
Fox News National
- Defense seeks open jury selection in Alabama woman's trial over granddaughter's running death3 Mar 2015, 5:03 AM PDT
- Mystery solved: Officials find source of bad odor lingering in Louisville, Kentucky3 Mar 2015, 4:45 AM PDT
- Ohio bridal shop linked to Ebola survivor is selling building after business suffered3 Mar 2015, 4:03 AM PDT
- Florida man arrested after hitting black man with bottle; said bar isn't for blacks3 Mar 2015, 4:01 AM PDT
- Airlines stop accepting rechargable battery shipments due to fire risk3 Mar 2015, 3:39 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- NHL player traded closer to home after 11-year-old daughter's letter goes viral3 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
- Padraig Harrington makes good on 2nd chance and wins the Honda Classic2 Mar 2015, 11:32 PM PDT
- National Hockey League Game Capsules2 Mar 2015, 11:00 PM PDT
- Stalock, Sharks blank Habs2 Mar 2015, 11:00 PM PDT
- Paul, Clippers edge Rubio, Timberwolves2 Mar 2015, 10:33 PM PDT