Tears began swelling in my eyes early as we drove off the Sam Houston toll road onto the feeder road to a complete stop well before the signal light to turn onto Veteran’s Memorial Boulevard. I felt great pride in knowing so many of my fellow Texans felt as we did and were able to attend this event. We arrived with plenty of time, but with the turn out of what I’d say was close to 1,000 people, we ended up having to park at the far end of the cemetery and were a teeny bit late to hearing the first couple speakers. But the hundred-degree heat was going to stop us. We all heard the call and we came. As we walked up to the event, I heard “pardon the noise, but this is the sound of freedom.” Cheers roared throughout the crowd. How sweet it is.
Make a note Texans: All politicians representing the Houston area were invited to this event. Some attended, many did not. I’d like to thank those who I heard speak: Dave Welch, Executive Director, US Pastor Council, Paul Bettencourt, Pastor Willie Davis, Congressman Pete Olson, State Representative Debbie Riddle, Pastor Scot Wall, Gold Star Mom Debora Wallace, my State Representative Allen Fletcher, Jay Guerrero speaking on behalf of Senator John Cornyn, Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart, Pastor Steve Riggle and Congressman Ted Poe. I will remember these names.
To recap, the Houston National Cemetery Director, Arleen Ocasio, requires grieving families to not use the words “God” or “Jesus” at any personal funeral ceremony without her written approval. I wrote about this censorship and travesty in a post last week. Ms. Ocasio has stated that she was only trying to make prayers more inclusive of other religions. Hmm. If she truly is trying to make prayers more inclusive of other religions, why has she:
- … instructed Veterans of Foreign Wars District 4 to remove prayers from its burial rituals and to no longer utter remarks when handing the discharged shell cases from the rifle salute to the family of deceased veterans?
- … instructed American Legion Post 586 to remove prayers from its burial rituals?
- … told the National Memorial Ladies that they could no longer include “God Bless” in their condolence cards or speak religious messages to veterans’ families?
- … shut down the Cemetery chapel and use it now for only a storage and meeting facility?
- “Enjoy Freedom of Speech? Thank a Vet!”
- God Bless Our Troops and their Families
- 1st Amendment: Freedom OF religion, not freedom from religion!
- One Nation Under God.
- My Marine Has Your Back.
- Operation Home Front
- Veteran’s of Foreign Wars
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Gary Sinise Foundation
- New Beginnings for Military Families
- The Fisher House
- Remember Their Sacrifice
- And Troop Support – Links to multiple websites on how to help!
If you stand with us, please sign Liberty Institute’s Petition to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs demanding they end these abuses immediately. Thank you in advance for your support of our veterans, their families and freedom.