Target Responds to Hacking with Two-Day Sale
MINNEAPOLIS, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- U.S. retailer Target Corp. said it would respond to a massive data breach by offering a discount to its customers for two days before Christmas.
Target said it would reduce prices 10 percent for Saturday and Sunday, CNNMoney reported.
"We recognize this has been confusing and disruptive during an already busy holiday season," Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel said in a statement.
"Our guests' trust is our top priority at Target and we are committed to making this right.," he said.
On Thursday, Target said that credit card and debit card data involving 40 million customers had been hacked.
The company said debit card personal identification numbers had not been breached, but cards used at a Target store from Nov. 27 to Dec. 15 were hacked.
The security codes on the cards were also safe, the company said.
With those data batches safe, the hackers cannot shop online or withdraw cash from automatic teller machines, CNNMoney said.
Target also said social security numbers and dates of birth were not affected.
In addition, Target said it had given the card numbers that were affected to the credit card companies, so they could monitor those cards for fraudulent activity.
That did not stop lawyers in California from filing a class action lawsuit that says Target should have informed consumers about the breach in a more timely fashion.
"Target has an obligation to provide adequate security for the financial information they collect," said attorney Robert Ahdoot, who is part of the legal team that filed the lawsuit.