Box Office Predictions: Sandler, Minions and Robots Team for Monster Weekend in Theaters
Sensei's call streak calling the correct top film stands at 11 straight weeks. This weekend, it's "go big or go home."
Sensei's weekend predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. "Pacific Rim" ($52 million) - I
smell a break-out opening. Buzz is high and early reviews (not from
critics, but the ones who really matter--the target audience) are high.
Buckle in for some box office fireworks.
2. "Despicable Me 2" ($47 million) - The safe pick to win the weekend. Could still happen, but I see it differently from the other prediction sites.
3. "Grown Ups 2" ($42 million)
- I'm going with the high end of calls here, but could easily seeing
this film drop much lower. The cast remains fun, but talk about strong
competition for that elusive younger male demographic (Pacific Rim).
4. "The Heat" ($14.2 million) - Is in great position to break the $100 million domestic mark this week. Quite impressive.
5. "The Lone Ranger" ($13.7 million) - Film
should break the low 70s, but the box office nightmare continues.
Tough seeing this one suffer when Jerry Bruckheimer has provided such
great fun (and box office success) in the past. Film is deeply haunted by its 215 million dollar production budget.
That's Sensei's calls. Enjoy the weekend.