A stunt performer going by the stage name “Inferno” ended up accidentally engulfed in flames during a fire-breathing demonstration at a Florida High School, and the whole thing was caught on video.
52-year-old performer Ricky Charles ended up hospitalized after the accident, which occurred during a pep rally at the Atlantic Community High School in Delray Beach, Florida, on Thursday.
Video of the incident shows the circus performer with flames first licking around his face and head before he exhales the flammable liquid in his mouth causing his entire body to erupt in flames.
Students can be heard screaming in shock as someone on the public announcement system appeals to everyone to stay seated and remain calm as several people attempt to put the flames out.
The Delray Beach Fire Department confirmed the accident on Twitter and noted that several students were also taken to the hospital complaining of breathing problems.
ACHS: Hired performer caught fire, suffered burns. Students complained of respiratory difficulty after fire extinguished with extinguisher.
— Delray Beach Fire (@DelrayBeachFire) March 17, 2016
Several students also posted cell phone video of the accident.
DUDE JUST CAUGHT ON FIRE AT OUR PEP RALLY!!! ADD ME ON SNAPCHAT KINGSOSA300 pic.twitter.com/trKYFfv7pV
— Anthony (@SolJah13) March 17, 2016
CBS 12 reported that several students were taken to the hospital with the performer, though the main victim was airlifted by helicopter.
One student said most in the room initially thought the accident was part of the show. Until people started screaming, Atlantic Senior Danny Lahav told the media everyone “thought it was a joke.”
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston, or email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.