NYC Ebola Patient Rode Subway After Return from Guinea

NYC Ebola Patient Rode Subway After Return from Guinea

New York City Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett reported that New York City Ebola patient Dr. Craig Spencer rode the subway in New York after he returned from Guinea at a press conference on Thursday.

“We know that during the time that the patient was home before he became sick, that he did leave his apartment.  We are aware that he went on a three-mile jog, a sign that he was feeling quite well, and he also took the subway system. We know that he’s ridden on the ‘A’ train, the number one train, the ‘L’ train. We’re still getting more information about this, but we know that yesterday that he went to a bowling alley in Williamsburg, he was feeling well at that time and except for his feeling of fatigue, and, once again, his first symptom of fever occurred today and that was the beginning of his assessment” she stated.

Bassett also said that Spencer “arrived in the united states at JFK Airport,” one of the airports that all passengers flying from Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia are required to fly into, and where passengers from those countries must be subjected to “added protocols, including having their temperature taken” according to the Department of Homeland Security.

She further reported that “at the time that he departed guinea throughout his journey home to the United States he was well with no symptoms. When he arrived in the United States, he was also well with no symptoms.” And “on the 21st he began feeling somewhat tired, but the first actual symptoms that the patient displayed were today sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 this morning when he experienced a fever.”

Bassett told the press that “we are aware that he has been in close contact with his fiancée and with two friends, all three of these contacts are healthy and are being quarantined,” and that the driver of an Uber car who was believed to one of the people Spencer came into contact with was “considered not to be at risk,” because there was “no direct physical contact” between the driver and Spencer.

Follow Ian Hanchett on Twitter @IanHanchett