CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — Guinea’s government says eight people who were abducted by angry residents while on an Ebola awareness campaign have been found dead.
In a government statement released Friday, authorities said that eight bodies had been found following the violent kidnappings in Womey in rural southern Guinea.
Among the dead are several local journalists and several high-ranking local officials. Only one of the kidnapping victims managed to escape.
Guinea’s government said it strongly condemned the killings, and that six people have been arrested.
Many residents of rural villages have reacted with fear and panic when outsiders have come to conduct awareness campaigns and have even attacked health clinics.