A Republican-Democrat spending bill being offered to President Trump spends nearly 40 times as much on foreign aid as it does on a wall to secure the United States-Mexico border.
Though Trump requested about $5.7 billion to fund a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, a spending package written by elected Republicans and Democrats funds just $1.3 billion for 55 miles of wall at the border.
Meanwhile, the deal spends nearly 40 times as much American taxpayer money on foreign aid as it does on a border wall. In total, about $50 billion is spent on foreign aid, including:
- $9.15 billion for international security assistance
- $1.9 billion for foreign food and hunger programs
- $3.1 billion for global health programs
- $3 billion for international development assistance
- $3.7 billion to support the economies of foreign countries
- $4.4 billion for international disaster assistance
- $3.8 billion for assistance for foreign refugees
The $1.3 billion for a border wall in the spending bill is a fraction of the total $14.9 billion budget that is awarded to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency. The bulk of funding in the CBP budget goes towards funding “border security technology.”
John Binder is a reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter at @JxhnBinder.
Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.