University of Florida Launches ‘Diversity’ Podcast – But No One Is Listening

Tumbleweeds on a desert road
Jim Choate/Flickr

The University of Florida’s diversity officer recently launched a new podcast, but no one on campus is listening. The podcast has gained just 100 downloads across its first three episodes.

According to a report from Campus Reform, the University of Florida’s Chief Diversity Officer Antonio Farias recently launched a podcast on “diversity” and “inclusion.”

The podcast, which is called “Level Up on Presence and Belonging,” was launched earlier this month. Each episode is approximately 10 minutes long and features a discussion on a variety of social justice issues.

“There’s no such thing as an expert on the topic of diversity,” Farias said in an interview with the University of Florida’s student newspaper. “We want to hear from everyone.”

Unfortunately for Farias and the University of Florida, the podcast hasn’t really gotten off the ground. Over the first three episodes, it has earned less than 100 listens.

The first episode features an interview with Will Atkins, UF’s associate dean of students at Multicultural and Diversity Affairs. “UF is big, and it’s the type of place that is known before you even walk on campus,” Atkins said in the interview. “There’s something important about being around folks who know what you’re going through.”

“We all want to belong to something bigger than ourselves, and we can only achieve this by taking the time to listen to others,” Farias added.

According to the university’s website, Farias makes an astonishing $280,000 for his work as the school’s chief diversity officer.

Breitbart News reported in 2018 that the University of Michigan has a massive $11 million budget for its diversity office, which has a staff of almost 100 employees. It is not uncommon for chief diversity officers to earn upwards of $200,000 at public universities around the country.