WASHINGTON – Hillary Clinton’s legal team says Clinton is “unable to obtain” missing emails from the beginning of her tenure as Secretary of State.
The revelation occurred quietly during Clinton’s testimony at Thursday’s House Benghazi Committee hearing, when the Clinton-friendly publication Politico went up with a piece at 12:09 PM EDT.
“She does not have custody of e-mails sent or received during the first few weeks of her tenure, as she was transitioning to a new address, and we have been unable to obtain these. In the event we do, we will immediately provide the Department with federal record e-mails in this collection,” Clinton lawyer David Kendall told Undersecretary of State Patrick Kennedy in a letter sent earlier this month and published Thursday.
Clinton may have committed perjury, then, when she signed a sworn statement promising that she turned over all of her work-related emails pursuant to a Judicial Watch lawsuit for Clinton’s email records.
“While I do not know what information may be ‘responsive’ for purposes of this law suit, I have directed that all my e-mails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or potentially were federal records to be provided to the Department of State, and on information and belief, this has been done,” Clinton said in the signed court statement.
Breitbart News first reported on five months’ worth of gaps in Clinton’s email disclosures, including in the first months of her State Department tenure between January and March 2009, when IT staffer Bryan Pagliano was setting up Clinton’s private email server.