Universal’s $70M-budget holdover Dr Suess’ The Lorax is #1 and Disney’s $250M-budget 3D sci-fi epic John Carter will finish only #2. Friday’s box office numbers for director Andrew Stanton’s turkey came in even weaker than predicted. Now let’s see if word of mouth can help this box office flop which earned a ‘B+’ CinemaScore. Eddie Murphy has yet another bomb in Paramount’s A Thousand Words which received a ‘B-‘ CinemaScore. But audiences gave Open Road’s horror genre film Silent House the dreaded ‘F’ CinemaScore.
1. The Lorax (Universal) Week 2 [3,746 Theaters]
Friday $9.8M (-44%), Est Weekend $40M, Cume $124M
2. John Carter (Disney) NEW [3,749 Theaters]
Friday $9.6M, Est Weekend $26.5M
3. Project X (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,055 Theaters]
Est Friday $3.9M (-51%), Est Weekend $11.4M, Cume $40.1M
4. Silent House (Open Road) NEW [1,890 Theaters]
Est Friday $2.6M, Est Weekend $6.5M
5. Act Of Valor (Relativity) Week 3 [2,951 Theaters]
Est Friday $2.0M, Est Weekend $7.5M, Cume $56.2M
Much more here.