May 12 (UPI) — North Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs pledged transparency and laid out plans Saturday to dismantle the country’s nuclear testing site.
The dismantling ceremony for the nuclear testing site is scheduled for between May 23 and 25, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced in a report by the state-owned KCNA news agency.
The Nuclear Weapons Institute and other collaborating institutions are “taking technical measures” to destroy the site and “ensure transparency of discontinuance of the nuclear test,” the statement said.
Explosives will start the demolition by collapsing under-ground tunnels, the statement said, before removing observations areas, research institutes and guard-units.
The announcement comes a day after North Korea pledged to refrain from unannounced missile tests during a meeting with United Nations aviation agency officials, Yonhap reported.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had announced that the country would shut down its nuclear testing site last month since the tests were no longer needed.
The new details on plans to dismantle the site also follow President Donald Trump’s announcement that he plans to meet with the North Korean leader in Singapore on June 12.
“We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!” Trump said.