Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign welcomed the decision by FBO director James Comey on Tuesday not to recommend prosecution for mishandling of classified information, despite evidence that she and her staff had been “extremely careless.”
The campaign’s statement, as obtained by The Hill, is as follows:
“We are pleased that the career officials handling this case have determined that no further action by the Department is appropriate,” spokesman Brian Fallon said in a statement.
“As the secretary has long said, it was a mistake to use her personal email and she would not do it again. We are glad that this matter is now resolved.”
Corey’s presentation made clear that every single claim made by Clinton and her campaign about the e-mail scandal had been false.
1. FALSE: Hillary Clinton never sent any classified information, or emails containing information marked “classified.”
2. FALSE: Hillary Clinton turned over all work-related emails to the State Department.
3. FALSE: Hillary Clinton was allowed to use a private e-mail server.
4. FALSE: Hillary Clinton’s server was not hacked by foreign adversaries.
5. FALSE: Hillary Clinton had only used a single mobile device for email.
Comey also explained that the FBI had found:
From the group of 30,000 e-mails returned to the State Department, 110 e-mails in 52 e-mail chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. Eight of those chains contained information that was Top Secret at the time they were sent; 36 chains contained Secret information at the time; and eight contained Confidential information, which is the lowest level of classification. Separate from those, about 2,000 additional e-mails were “up-classified” to make them Confidential; the information in those had not been classified at the time the e-mails were sent.
Clinton, campaigning — coincidentally — with President Barack Obama in North Carolina today, now hopes to put the scandal behind her.