Harvard Cancels Men’s Soccer Season over 4-Year-Old Sexual Scouting Report of Women Players

BOSTON - NOVEMBER 15: Tim Wheaton, head coach of Harvard Women's Soccer team, gives a
Matthew J. Lee/Getty Images

Recently the Harvard University school newspaper dredged up a “report” from 2012 filled with sexist remarks and explicit descriptions of the school’s women’s soccer team. Now the university has canceled the remainder of the men’s soccer season as punishment for the four-year-old incident.

The old send-up article purporting to be a “scouting report” of the sex appeal of the then incoming 2012 Harvard women’s soccer team was exposed by the Harvard Crimson, bringing a sharp rebuke from some of the players from 2012 who are still on the women’s soccer team.

Now university administrators have struck back punishing the men’s soccer team by canceling the rest of the season, according to the Harvard Crimson.

The paper reports that Athletics Director Robert L. Scalise informed Harvard student athletes that he decided to cancel the team’s season because the “practice appears to be more widespread across the team and has continued beyond 2012, including in 2016.”

“As a direct result of what Harvard Athletics has learned, we have decided to cancel the remainder of the 2016 men’s soccer season,” Scalise continued. “The team will forfeit its remaining games and will decline any opportunity to achieve an Ivy League championship or to participate in the NCAA Tournament this year.”

“Harvard Athletics has zero tolerance for this type of behavior,” Scalise insisted.

University officials alleged that current members of the men’s soccer team were not “immediately forthcoming” when quizzed during an investigation into the 2012 “scouting report” and this reticence to cooperate added to the ultimate punishment.

“The decision to cancel a season is serious and consequential, and reflects Harvard’s view that both the team’s behavior and the failure to be forthcoming when initially questioned are completely unacceptable, have no place at Harvard, and run counter to the mutual respect that is a core value of our community,” University President Drew G. Faust said.

Until the cancellation of its season, the Harvard men’s team had been in first place in the Ivy League with a 10-3-2 overall record and a 4-0-1 mark in the Ivy League, according to Sports Illustrated.

Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston or email the author at igcolonel@hotmail.com.