For a fight that hasn’t been made official, it sounds like the much-rumored superfight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is officially going to happen.
That much we can gather from comments made by UFC President Dana White this weekend, after Canelo Alvarez soundly trounced Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin, aka ‘GGG,’ met in the center of the ring and announced that they will lock horns and fight on September 16th.
That revelation provoked two comments from White: one, to announce that he would definitely be in attendance for the Alvarez vs. Golovkin fight, and second, that he would have to reschedule MacGregor vs Mayweather.
Speaking to reporters after the fight, White said, “We just lost our date to ‘Canelo’ and ‘GGG,’ but good, that’s a good fight. I’ll be at that one, too.”
White went on to caution that things remain in flux when it comes to setting up the highly anticipated and highly complex matchup with McGregor and Mayweather. White said, “Floyd wants this fight, and we want to try and make it, so we’ll see what happens. Listen, Floyd is one of the best ever in the history of the game, and Conor is one of the best ever in the history of our game, so people want to see it, and I’m always into making fights that people want to see.”
White can continue to throw in all the disclaimers, such as “we want to try” and “we’ll see what happens,” that he wants to. But, coming forward and making it clear that talks have progressed to the point where a hard date had been agreed upon should make it clear to all that McGregor vs. Mayweather has now officially moved from a hypothetical “if” to a very certain “when.”
Follow Dylan Gwinn on Twitter: @themightygwinn