The gunman who opened fire on random persons in Houston on September 26 passed a background check for the rifle and the handgun he used during the attack, reports say.
Police received calls on an “active shooter” at West University Place around 6:30 am. They arrived to find the gunman was dressed in “some kind of military uniform and had Nazi emblems with him.” Police were able to kill the gunman but not until after he had shot and wounded nine people.
CNN reports that the gunman was carrying a rifle — a .45 caliber Thompson carbine — and a .45 caliber pistol. He passed a background check for the rifle in 2009 and another background for the pistol in 2011.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner identified the gunman as Nathan DeSai, an attorney “who was disgruntled over matters at the law firm where he worked.”
Desai is but the latest in a long list of attackers and alleged attackers who passed a background check in order to purchase the guns they used to harm innocents. That list includes:
- the Orlando attacker (June 12)
- the UCLA gunman (June 1)
- the San Bernardino attackers (December 2, 2015)
- the Colorado Springs attacker (October 31, 2015)
- the Umpqua Community College attacker (October 1, 2015)
- Alison Parker’s attacker (August 26, 2015)
- the Lafayette movie theater attacker (July 23, 2015)
- the Chattanooga attacker (July 16, 2015)
- the alleged Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal attacker (Jun 17, 2015)
- the Muhammad Carton Contest attackers (May 3, 2014)
- the Las Vegas cop killers (June 9, 2015)
- the Santa Barbara attacker (May 23, 2014)
- the Fort Hood attacker (April 2, 2014)
- the Arapahoe High School attacker (December 13, 2013)
- the D.C. Navy Yard attacker (September 16, 2013)
- the Aurora movie theater attacker (July 20, 2012)
- Gabby Giffords’s attacker (January 8, 2011)
- the Fort Hood attacker (November 5, 2009)
- the Virginia Tech attacker (April 16, 2007)
- the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle attacker (July 28, 2016)
Although these attackers and alleged attackers all acquired their guns via background checks, Hillary Clinton, President Obama, Gabby Giffords, and others continue to push background checks as way to make Americans safe.
AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at email@example.com.