Top 10 Sports Movies
The movies that inspire us are often based on real moments. This is no less true for sports movies. So what are the best of the lot? It was not an easy list, but in honor of the Oscars, here’s our take.
10. Wimbledon. Who would have thought a sports movie with Kirsten Dunst and tennis would make this list? But it was well written and captures what can sometimes be the structure and attraction of the sport.
9. White Men Can’t Jump. Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes in this often-quoted classic about race and basketball.
8. Slap Shot. The classic tale of the Charleston Chiefs, great comedy. Who doesn’t have a pair of those glasses?
7. Coach Carter. The story of the Richmond HS (California) team that made the playoffs despite a lockout for academics, Samuel L. Jackson turns in a great performance.
6. Field of Dreams. Has any sports movie ever been so widely quoted? “Build it, and they will come”.
5. The Natural. That last home run scene with the lights is an all-time classic.
4. The Babe. The story of Babe Ruth told very well, with John Goodman turning in a virtuoso performance.
3. Major League. Great cast including Charlie Sheen as Ricky “Wild Thing” Vaughn. Classic comedy.
2. Hoosiers. The classic about the Cinderella Indiana high school basketball team had a great cast, including Gene Hackman.
1. Miracle. The story of the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” US Olympic hockey team was brilliantly done by Disney. They used actual college and minor league hockey players and taught them how to act, rather than get actors who knew how to play hockey, for this movie.
Next Top 10: Top 10 Magical Seasons.