On November 1 Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau rejected a negotiator’s reports of a ceasefire with Nigeria and said the 200 Chibok schoolgirls who were abducted in April will not be returned. Rather, he said the girls “converted to Islam” and were already “married off.”
The ceasefire was announced on October 17. Following the announcement, an aide to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said “final negotiations on the girls’ release would be completed a week later at a meeting in Chad.”
In a video obtained by CNN, Shekau laughed at the announcement and said the girls “are in their marital homes.” He said that if Boko Harm can find the negotiator who said a deal had been struck, they “will slaughter him.”
Nigeria’s National Information Centre coordinator Mike Omeri said Shekau’s statements “contradict those made in conversations in which the Nigerian government has been involved.” He said the video of Shekau will continue to be reviewed, but for now stressed that “the road to peace is bumpy–and you cannot expect otherwise.”
In December 2012 Breitbart News called attention to the religious apartheid being carried out by Boko Haram against Christians. Full fledged slaughter of Christians was under way at that time and has continued to date.
On September 12, 2014 Breitbart News reported that Boko Haram had extended its reach to the point that it now controls a swath of land as large as Ireland.
Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.