Skip to content

Featured Contributors

National Security

FILE -- In this March 9, 2016 file photo, smoke rises from a building, where Taliban insurgents hide during a fire fight with Afghan security forces, in Helmand province, south west Afghanistan. Kareem Atal, head of the provincial council, said Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2016, that troops are being deployed to a key southern city in Helmand province where fighting is raging with the Taliban to ensure it does not fall to the insurgents. Helmand is a strategically important province for both the Kabul government and the Taliban, whose insurgency is now in its 15th year. (AP Photo, File)

One Killed, 6 Wounded as U.S Boosts Presence in Afghanistan

One American service member was killed and another injured in southern Afghanistan’s Taliban stronghold of Helmand province a day after the U.S. military announced it was deploying nearly 100 troops to the same region in response to recent “tactical victories” by the jihadist group.

Early morning sun cuts through fog before the start of the 2015 National Wreaths Across America event on Dec. 12, 2015. More than 50,000 volunteers helped to place remembrance wreaths on 230,000 gravestones. Read more: http://www.politico.com/gallery/2016/05/arlington-cemetery-memorial-day-photos-002264#ixzz4A5yK1z5w Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Bronze Medallions Stolen from Indiana Veterans’ Graves

“People don’t have any morals anymore, apparently,” American Legion Post 83 financial officer James Hiles told the South Bend Tribune, neatly summarizing the case of over 300 bronze medallions stolen from the graves of military veterans in Patton Cemetery.

Twitter/@Brunswick_News

93-Year-Old WWII Veteran Finishes Run Across U.S. After Nearly 3 Years

A 93-year-old World War II veteran, Ernie Andrus, marked the end of a nearly 2,600 mile run across the United States when he finally dipped his toes in the Atlantic Ocean at St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, on Saturday morning, nearly three years after starting his marathon journey in the Pacific Ocean near San Diego.

People wait close to empty graves at a cemetery during the funeral for the victims of last night's attack on a wedding party that left 50 dead in Gaziantep in southeastern Turkey near the Syrian border on August 21, 2016. At least 50 people were killed when a suspected suicide bomber linked to Islamic State jihadists attacked a wedding thronged with guests, officials said on August 21. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the IS extremist group was the 'likely perpetrator' of the bomb attack, the deadliest in 2016, in Gaziantep late Saturday that targeted a celebration attended by many Kurds. / AFP / ILYAS AKENGIN (Photo credit should read ILYAS AKENGIN/AFP/Getty Images)

Turkey IDs Wedding Bomber as Islamic State Child

A suicide bomb attack on a Kurdish wedding in Turkey killed at least 54 people on Saturday evening, many of them children. The bomber himself has been described as a child only 12 to 14 years old, possibly coerced into wearing his remote-detonated explosive device.

TOPSHOT - This video grab image created on August 14, 2016 taken from a video released on youtube purportedly by Islamist group Boko Haram showing what is claimed to be one of the groups fighters at an undisclosed location standing in front of girls allegedly kidnapped from Chibok in April 2014. Boko Haram on August 14, 2016 released a video of the girls allegedly kidnapped from Chibok in April 2014, showing some who are still alive and claiming others died in air strikes. The video is the latest release from embattled Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, who earlier this month denied claims that he had been replaced as the leader of the jihadist group. / AFP PHOTO / HO / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / BOKO HARAM" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

Boko Haram Abducts 13 More in Chibok, Home of Missing Schoolgirls

The Boko Haram wing of the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL) has reportedly executed 10 people and abducted 13 others, including women and children, during a raid on a village near the town of Chibok in northeastern Nigeria’s Borno state, where the African terrorist group kidnapped nearly 276 schoolgirls more than two years ago.