Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday released a statement saying that Israel “strongly condemns the terrible terror attack” in Nice on Thursday.
“Israel is willing to help the French government fight this evil until it is defeated,” he added.
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin sent a letter of condolences to French President François Hollande over the deaths and injuries inflicted in the truck-ramming rampage.
“It is with pain and sorrow that I must once again write and express my deepest condolences, and those of all the Israeli people, following the horrific terror attack in Nice,” Rivlin wrote to Hollande.
On Friday the death toll climbed to at least 84 people killed — including 10 children — with as many as 202 others wounded. French prosecutor Francois Molins told reporters the wounded included 52 people in critical condition, 25 of whom were on life support.
Hollande earlier stated that the victims in critical condition were hovering “between life and death.”
NBC further reported on the background of the 31-year-old terror driver, identified as Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel:
Bouhlel had been detained in March and convicted of voluntary violence with a weapon, although the details of his arrest were not immediately released.
Prosecutors said he was also known to police “due to threats, violence and petty theft” between 2010 and 2016.
But it was unclear whether Bouhlel, a Tunisian-born delivery man and married father living in Nice, had any ties to terrorist groups.
Aaron Klein is Breitbart’s Jerusalem bureau chief and senior investigative reporter. He is a New York Times bestselling author and hosts the popular weekend talk radio program, “Aaron Klein Investigative Radio.” Follow him on Twitter @AaronKleinShow. Follow him on Facebook.