The leader of Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement, Hassan Nasrallah, condemned military strikes carried out by the United States, France, and England on Sunday and said they were a failure.
Iran’s state-run Press TV wrote, “Nasrallah said the U.S. military kept its strikes limited because it knew a wider attack would spark retaliation from Damascus and its allies.”
On Friday, and nearly one week after a chemical attack on civilians left dozens dead and at least 1,000 injured, President Donald Trump ordered strikes on Syrian targets.
“A short time ago, I ordered the United States armed forces to launch precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapons capabilities of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad,” Trump announced during a televised address to the nation and world.
In his statement on Sunday, Nasrallah reportedly said the strike carried by the U.S., France, and England will further complicate reaching a political solution to the crisis in Syria and destabilize international relations.
He also echoed Russia in suggesting the chemical attacks were false and actually staged as a pretext for the United States to move forward with its military operation.
Last week, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Britain was “directly involved in the provocation.”
Just three days after the deadly chemical attack on Syrian civilians took place, Syria’s permanent representative to the U.N., Dr. Bashar al-Jaafari, called the United States a “monster … who sponsored terrorism.”
“The U.S. representative said that there is a single monster today which stands in the face of the whole world, and it is a monster which has armed and financed terrorists for more than seven years in Syria, and I say that this monster is the U.S., Britain, and France who sponsored terrorism in Syria and before it in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya,” al-Jaafari said, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency.