Sept. 27 (UPI) — A squirrel caused a fire and left dozens without power after knocking down a power line in an Idaho neighborhood.
The Idaho Falls Fire Department responded to a fire in a resident’s backyard at round 2 p.m. on Tuesday and discovered a downed power line in the area.
Firefighters discovered a squirrel caused a short in the electrical system and dropped a melted wire to the ground, which set dry grass aflame.
Crews managed to quickly extinguish the fire and prevented it from spreading any further.
About 29 people lost power in the incident and the flames damaged three sections of a vinyl fencing.
The damage to the fencing was estimated to be between $700 and $800 and Idaho Falls Power crews worked to restore power as quickly as possible.