Sound and Fury: More Protests on Day 3 of DNC

Protesters climb a fence near Wells Fargo Center on the second day of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) on July 26, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The convention is expected to attract thousands of protesters, members of the media and Democratic delegates to the City of Brotherly Love. (Photo by
Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

More mass arrests, flag burnings, and anger after sundown on Day Three of the Democratic National Convention, as hundreds of protesters converged on Wells Fargo Center to express their rage.

A group of nearly 1,000 protesters began to gather at different locations after the night fell and took the edge off of the day’s 90 degree heat. Inside the convention’s perimeter, a group of about 50 protesters from Democracy Spring blocked one entrance to the convention and began a series of Occupy Wall Street style “Mic Check” call and response chants centered around the groups signature issue, campaign reform.

Meanwhile, a group of a couple hundred protesters gathered for speeches in the nearby FDR Park began to march towards the convention center as night fell. This group was quickly joined by hundreds of protesters riding bicycles streaming down Broad Street from the Center City area of Philadelphia.

Those two groups converged outside the fence that surrounded the main subway station used by convention goers began chanting and taunting the police.

Inside the perimeter, Democracy Spring continued its blockade and were soon met by Philadelphia police who warned them that if they did not move they would be arrested. Democracy Spring, whose members had planned to be arrested knowing that they would likely face a short detention and $50 citation, continued its convention blocking street theater.

Outside the perimeter, the group of socialist, communist, anarchist, “antifascist,” Bernie Sanders and Joel Stein supporters and other assorted anticapitalists continued their protest.

As Pres. Obama began to speak inside the convention hall, the mob outside began to push on the fence, and at one point a number of protesters in fact breached the fence and were quickly met and arrested by law enforcement. A larger contingent of police immediately came into the area, although they were still outnumbered by the chanting group of 500 or so protesters outside the perimeter as the night wore on.

One group of protesters made a point of dousing an American flag with lighter fluid and then setting it on fire, as another group of protesters chanted at them “how does this help us?”

The noisy night had no visible effect on the delegates gathered inside the Wells Fargo Center, nor did it appear to attract any mainstream media attention, raising the question of whether the protesters will attempt to raise the stakes with more violent protest on the final night of the convention.

The protesters were not at full force on Wednesday, with few members of the local Black Liberation coalition that March on Tuesday afternoon visible.

Organizers of said they plan protest every night of the convention, so it remains to be seen whether tensions will escalate on day four.

Although the protesters are well aware that Ferguson style rioting, burning and looting will attract mainstream media attention on the final night of the convention, they also know that such action would face much more serious legal consequences as well as potential backlash from the public.


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.